About the PM Society
The PM Society
The PM Society is a not-for-profit organisation that believes excellent healthcare communications leads to better outcomes for patients.
The PM Society has the following purpose:
- Supporting organisations and people in healthcare
- Recognising excellence and promoting best practice
- Providing education and development
The PM Society was established over 40 years ago to serve the needs of the pharmaceutical industry and its service agencies. It currently has over 230 companies as members, including pharma and biotech companies on the industry side and PR, Advertising, Medical Communications, Digital and many other kinds of service company on the agency side.
It is run by a voluntary Executive Committee and supported by a small office staff. The Executive steers the direction of the Society in conjunction with a wider Committee of industry professionals and works hard to forge close working relationships with other industry and NHS groups, including the ABPI, HCA and TOPRA, for the benefit of its membership.
The Society has four active Interest Groups aligned to the current challenges and issues facing those involved with pharma marketing and communications; Market Access, Digital, Patient Engagement and Industry-Agency Relationships. These interest groups meet regularly and generate content, run educational events and provide a forum for discussion and action appropriate to their respective topics.
The Society runs two highly regarded Award schemes to help recognise excellence; The PM Society Awards highlight creativity, innovation and impact across a range of creative communications work. The Digital Awards focus solely on digital work and reward innovation and effectiveness as well as recognising people and teams.
PriMe is the PM Society’s modular training programme which was developed by industry experts to address the specific training needs within pharma marketing and healthcare communications. Courses run throughout the year and are tailored for those new to marketing, more experienced marketers as well as those in roles within agencies.
The PM Society operates a number of initiatives that are free to attend as a way of ‘giving back’. These include an annual Graduate Careers Day to help introduce students and recent graduates to the opportunities within pharmaceutical companies and healthcare communications agencies.
GOALS 2020 – 2023
Deliver educational activities and professional development across the healthcare industry
- Increase the breadth of course topics and ongoing development of PriMe including consideration of online training.
- Increase awareness of PriMe among pharma company L&D professionals and senior marketers and managers.
- Increase number of educational meetings and events: via interest groups, established formats, webinars and partnership events.
Improve the relevance and impact of the PM Society
- Increase awareness and engagement across the industry
- Increase penetration into member companies
- Increase PR and content production
- Drive cooperation with like-minded organisations
- Continue and build focus on the involvement of individuals and companies through the Committee, Executive, Interest Groups and Advocates
Maintaining the sustainability of the PM Society
- Ensure quality financial management of the Society
- Maintain Executive, Committee & Advocate membership with a high level of engagement
- Ensure succession planning is in place for all key activities
- Provide effective management and development of all office staff
- Evolve all events in line with the changing industry and events landscape