Competent leadership and managerial skills are more desirable now than ever to ensure team engagement during these uncertain times.
The manager’s behaviour and actions can be pivotal to the productivity of the team. Unfortunately, new managers can sometimes be thrown into managing others without knowing where to start or given adequate training and coaching to succeed.
It is common for newly promoted managers to feel overwhelmed and experience ‘imposture syndrome’, the feeling of not being worthy of the position. Because of this, some managers can have a tendency to return to the comfort zone of carrying out their previous role tasks rather than embrace the new responsibility.
With this in mind, this short course covers the essential skills needed to manage others and invites the participant to create a plan for how they will perform in the role.
Who will benefit from this programme?
- The programme is designed for anyone working in a healthcare communication agency (in account management or a medical writing role) who is taking the next step in their career to a role where they will be managing others
- It is also suitable for managers who are looking to refresh their skills in people management and haven’t received any formal training in this area before
- It would also be beneficial for anyone looking to be promoted and would like to understand what managing other people would entail.
What is the programme and why is it different?
This highly interactive course focusses on the underlying principles of managing others in three concise sessions (2 hours each session) over three consecutive days.
There will be a short pre-programme questionnaire comprising five questions to complete and provide a few days in advance of the first session commencing.
Participants will come away with their own unique outputs from each exercise and some key models and frameworks to help enhance their management of others.
What does the training include?
Pre-programme exercise: Participants will be asked to complete a short questionnaire of 5 questions prior to joining the first session
Session 1 – 12th January 10:00 am – 12:00 pm – Building trust Learning outcomes:
- To understand the importance of how our actions, behaviours and words can affect team performance.
- To increase confidence when conducting one on one meetings with direct reports.
- To understand why poor leadership can lead to poor performance
Output: Guiding principles for your role as a new manager.
Session 2 – 13th January 10:00 am – 12:00 pm – Develop management style Learning outcomes:
- To understand how different leadership styles impact team effectiveness.
- To identify the management style best suited for team members to be most effective.
Output: Management style adaptation guide to be able to get the most out of your team
Session 3 – 14th January 10:00 am – 12:00 pm – Develop the team Learning outcomes:
- To be able to identify the difference between allocating verse delegating tasks and delegate more effectively
- To be able to prepare feedback and use simple coaching techniques
- To understand how to avoid common pitfalls of managing others.
Output: Delegating and coaching skills guide to aid the development and growth of the team.
Matthew Plant Trainer & Coach
Matthew Plant has 20 years’ experience developing learning solutions for multinational organisations. He has held learning consultant roles with Hemsleyfraser training group and Virgin Atlantic Airways.
In 2013 he took the opportunity to relocate to Oman joining Energy Development Oman (a joint venture between the Omani Government and Shell International) developing learning interventions in leadership, management, coaching and personal development.
During his career, he has helped with learning interventions with clients such as Rolls Royce, Liverpool Victoria, Cancer Research, The Bank of England and International Maritime Organisation.
Matthew has a business and marketing degree, a CIPD certificate in training practice, a certificate in coaching, a practitioner in MBTI and Neuro-linguistic programming. He is an accredited trainer with the TAP training foundation. See more about Matthew on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-plant-2041799/